Troubled projects are all around us. Experienced project managers are often brought onboard to recover them, especially when the stakes are high. The recovery team may consist of one or more individuals. The recovery process first starts with an assessment of the project’s health.
You will first determine whether the project can be saved or warrants termination. If it can be saved, a recovery plan is developed. Upon agreement by the key stakeholders, the plan is put into action. The recovery process is closely monitored and controlled until the project is “stabilized.” The recovery team exits the project, once the stabilization criteria are met. The project continues its normal life cycle towards presumed successful completion. The goal of this course is to offer you a methodology and tools for assessing and recovering troubled projects.
In this course you will first learn the key characteristics of successful vs. failed projects. You will gain an understanding of rational criteria for deciding whether a troubled project should be terminated or resuscitated. You will be introduced to a three-phase methodology for rapidly assessing and recovering troubled projects. You will learn key processes and tools associated with each phase.
The course format consists of focused mini-lectures as well as hands-on activities. The class will be divided into small teams, which will be engaged in interactive discussions and various exercises related to a troubled project case study. Each team will make presentations of the results from their discussions and exercises to the entire class facilitated by the Instructor. The course is designed to be highly interactive.
- Apply a structured methodology to assess and recover troubled projects.
- Define characteristics of successful vs. failed projects.
- Perform a rapid assessment of a project’s health.
- Identify the root cause of project troubles using various diagnostic tools.
- Prepare and negotiate a recovery plan.
- Stabilize a troubled project by applying proper tools and techniques.
- Implement critical measures to prevent projects from becoming troubled.
Course outline is available on request